Sunday, August 17, 2008

Rattlesnake-Any of various American pit vipers (not to be confused with Dodge Viper which is much better looking) of the genera Crotalus and Sistrurus, having an interlocking series of horny rings at the end of the tail that produce a rattling or buzzing sound when shaken. Highly poisonous.

This week we stumbled upon a rattlesnake, one of the dangers of living in the back country of California, close to the house. Being the outdoorsy type we handled it in a calm and deliberate manner…..

When the ear piercing screams stopped, someone had the bright idea of dispatching the small but deadly varmint to the great hereafter. Well we can now tell you that it was seen somewhere outside of Memphis with Elvis and the Loch Ness monster. Here are some pictures of after the great deed.

Sara holding the deadly critter minus it’s head.


The rattle was kept to scare guests and relatives who have stayed at our house for more then three days.


After a long and deadly fight, the hunter vests the beast.


One last view.


This article I assure you is 100% true. But for the safety of the writers they are using assumed names.

By: Chicago, & Lookrightranchhand.

14 comments:

Joy said...

Yikes! I don't like rattlesnakes. I wish that they could only survive on the West coast... ;-)
So how exactly did you catch and kill the nasty thing?
I thought that you already had a rattle stashed away in your coffee table. Was I mistaken?
Have a good night!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...I think I would rather catch it and train it. Worst case, you have several members of the household that are well trained in medical procedures...

Unknown said...

Sorry, guess it would help not to be anonymous...

Mr. Reynolds

Erber Correspondent said...

Is this a warning for us? We'll be sure not to overstay next weekend!

Anonymous said...

Dear Erber correspondent,

Wear long pants and boots, don't reach under rocks and carry an insurance card. We are pretty sure that the mosquitoes do not carry West Nile Virus. Black Widows have been eaten by the chickens, and we've never seen a Brown Recluse on the property. Avoid the back end of the horse and don't climb the fence into our neighbor's goat pen. The road is challenging enough to ensure that poor drivers eliminate themselves. Sun screen is a good idea, as is sobriety. A good relationship with the Lord can never hurt. We look forward to your visit!!

Jessica McDonald said...

WOW! I've never seen a rattlesnake in real life and wouldn't be upset if I never did. :-D

Thanks for warning us about staying with y'all. LOL!!! :-D

God bless!!

~Jess

JB said...

There are always exceptions to any rule of visiting. I do believe that reciprocation of hospitality always allows for longer visits!!!

The hazards of any area exist ...tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, venomous creatures, crime. Ours just happens to be a rattlesnake or two.

With this particular snake, the children and I got in front of it to stop its movement so it became a stationary target. Rattlers are far more afraid of us than we are of them.

Blessings, Jean

kymk99 said...

Did you save the rattlesnake?? That could have been your biology dissection project!

Mrs. Reynolds :o)

Elissa said...

AHHH!!! YOU KILLED IT!!!!!!!! *SIGHS AND SHAKES HEAD* when will people ever learn that snakes are GOOD things??????????????

Anonymous said...

Snakes are evil. I want no part of it. We'll visit durring the cooler months. Sorry Hectors. Can you guess who this is? If so, write me back on your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Snakes are gross... ew. I don't like them very much. But unlike someone I know I would still come for a visit anytime out of the year... with or without the snakes.*smiles* I think you know who I am referring too... Love you all!

Thomas and Lindsey said...

I am guessing the last two are from Mr. B and daughter Ashley?

Snakes really aren't that bad up here... But if you really don't want to come up for a visit, just be ready for a couple more visits down there from us!!

Thomas

Anonymous said...

Snakes!! I really HATE snakes. I would faint if I saw that in real life. Please don't mail me one or else I'll never talk to you again, lol :)

-Miss Elizabeth

Troopless Boyscout said...

Man that one's a beauty! I've come across a few rattle snakes, and man was I glad I saw them before I got too close.