Monday, December 7, 2009

Snow report

Today was supposed to be spent down in Valley Springs homeschooling with some other families. A major snow storm changed all that. As usual, the electricity is out. We have powered a few of the necessities (like the Internet) with the RV's generator. PG&E says they will know by noon tomorrow when the power will be back on. That could be a day or two later, and their estimates are always optimistic.

The rain gauge doesn't understand snow, so Anthony braved the cold to put a ruler in our closest snow bank.

That green thing is a twelve inch ruler.

Tara came to the door to check on us. Is she suffering in the cold?

Nah, I never met a suffering dog that was in the mood for a game of chase the tail.

If counter clock wise doesn't work, try clock wise. That didn't work either.

Nic wanted toast. The wood stove works no matter what.

Brunch on the patio, anyone?

Photo contest: Can you figure this one out?

The storm finally broke, so the youngest four broke out the snow gear.

Hand delivered snowballs are much more accurate than the thrown variety.

Even Sara and Becky want a piece of Jonathan.

Jonathan evened the score.

The Ben-mobile isn't going anywhere.

The Indian Head is never prettier than when it sports a shock of white hair.

Being without electricity also means not having water, lights, refrigeration and a host of other modern day conveniences. But it doesn't mean you have to go without family activities, a good meal (more on that tomorrow) contentment and an appreciation for Gods abundance. The Hector's are home bound, and that suits me just fine.

be safe,
Hec @ 19

10 comments:

JB said...

I'm glad the RV is running a few lights and of course the computer! Cooking by candlelight may sound romantic but it truly isn't.

And you've never lived until you've done your dishes by heating the dishwater on the stove.

We don't get storms like this often. But they definitely make us appreciate modern conveniences. I'm very thankful for God's little reminders.

We did miss Ben & Thomas though. Thank goodness the phone still allows us to communicate with them.

Blessings, Mom/JB

Jessica McDonald said...

Your pictures make the snow look so beautiful!! I'm not a big fan of cold wet stuff myself, but I will admit it can be fun. :D Well, minus the loss of power part! But it looks like y'all made the best of it and had a wonderful time! :D

I love the picture with your reflection in the window and then those in the room reflected in your reflection, but I can't figure it out! *grin*

Hope y'all are having a wonderful snowy/cold/Christmas season! :)

*hugs to all*

~Jess

Simply Tiffany said...

Oh, oh, oh!!!! The property is absolutely BEAUTIFUL when there is that much snow! Yes, I am definitely in the snow mood now!

Poor Anton...no coat?!? Is he trying to get sick or something? *laughs* I love how the snow is shaped like the chairs...that's never happened here. Then again, we usually put our patio furniture away for the winter. :)

Awwww, Tara is getting so big! Last picture I saw of her, she was a squishy looking puppy! What a cutie.

Nic, I want some toast too!

Photo contest! I love these things... Let me see, I thought maybe you were standing outside getting a shot of the inside and a reflection of the outside, but the outside looks too bright. So, then I thought maybe you were standing inside, taking a picture of the outside while getting your reflection and the family in the background, but how could you see the family if you were standing in front of the window? So, I think that it's two pictures put into one. Now tell, me...I've braced myself for the truth...how close did I come?

Only the four youngest?!? Well, tell them that I would've played with 'em!

Oh, the festive headdress on Mr. Indian is very flattering, indeed!

*sigh* That last shot is gorgeous! Being stuck at home is sometimes a huge blessing in disguise! Have fun and I'm looking forward to hearing about dinner! :)

Love and miss y'all!

kymk99 said...

All morning as we were driving up the canyon for our small share of snow, Kelsey kept saying 'we should have driven up to the Hector's!' Looks like we wouldn't have made it though! Thomas or Dave will have to show you the pictures I posted on Facebook of our snow play from today! :o)

Mrs. Reynolds :o)

Ashton said...

Such gorgeous scenery in that last shot...now that's the kind of weather I wouldn't mind seeing after waking up in the morning.

And concerning the contest...y'all took the picture from inside while being semi-transparent. *grin*

Thomas and Lindsey said...

Looks like there will be plenty of snow for me to look at from the inside when I getg home today. Come on PG&E guys! Work your magic!!! Dad, Photoshop?

TJH

C and H Walker said...

That is so neat!

Javert03 said...

Wow! That snow is sooo amazing!!!

Re: the photo contest. According to the EXIF data on Flickr, the photo was edited in Adobe Photoshop CS3. Regardless, I'm going to guess the photo was taken through two pieces of glass, one that reflected the photographer and one that reflected the family. I believe there is further evidence for this in that the outside snow looks slightly blurry, something very unlikely at 1/160 sec, and further that the photographer's body is blurred by what appears to be a second reflection of himself (since again I assume it is not blurred due to motion). Just a guess. :-D

Casey said...

Wow it's cold up there! Everything froze down here, but not to that degree.
Let me see, Mr. H was looking in from outside and the darkness of his body made us able to see inside, while the rest of the picture is a reflection? Is that clear the way I said that?
Hope you have fun in the snow :)
Casey

Hec @ 19 said...

Ahem~

Tiffany's first guess and Casey''s guess are correct. The only Photoshop manipulation was for contrast and exposure correction.

Josh, you get an e for effort. It was a double pane window, but the people other than myself are not a reflection.