Friday, May 8, 2009

Galloping to Gallup....

6am came early, and we quickly packed up, battened down the hatches (literally), and then hit the road. Before getting on the freeway, we sniffed out the closest donut store, and grabbed a bit of breakfast. When on the West Coast, we are a little more willing to find donuts, knowing that as soon as we get a few hundred miles east, there will not be a decent donut to be found, as all the small shops have been driven out of business by the evil conglomerate, Dunkin’ Donuts. Those of you who actually like DD, please know that you have been lied to and cheated. This is a real donut, and it was made fresh that morning, on location:


Thomas, that was also your donut, since we know you like sprinkles. The picture is going to be the best we can do at the moment.

In our quest to take the shortest and fastest route East, we headed for Tehachipi Pass, and through the Mojave desert.

As has become tradition, we took a picture of Hector Road:


Because of how early we were up, I took a nap, which lasted about four hours. This was my exact view when I woke up. Bex scared me to death!


Not quite sure what went on while I was sleeping, but when I awoke, this is what was going on in the back. Looks like fun!


I would love to show you pictures of all the interesting and beautiful views we saw today, but that would take too long. So, I will give you the one shot that sums all the gorgeous scenery:


Yep, that pretty much says it all.

Despite the lack of view, there were a few other items of interest. Like this flowering red plant, of which Matthew said 15 times to mention that he took the photo, and I told him that because of his pestering I wouldn’t mention him, so I am not….


We also saw the Arizona border. Nic, as usual, stretched into the front of the RV, so he could claim to be the first in the state:


Right over the Arizona border the gas priced dropped by a $1 a gallon, there was much rejoicing in the wallet of my father:


We also saw a tank, and the boys wanted to see if they would trade us for the RV and boat:


I drove the mid-day shift, since Thomas isn’t here. (I miss you THOMAS!!!!!!!) This is pretty much what I saw, for 300 some miles:


Mom wanted me to put a photo of myself up, despite my protests that as the writer, I was not required to do so. Of course, as the writer, you can do anything you want to the photos, just before posting them:


A rare shot of Dad, with little Miss Sara:


Sara does find ways to amuse herself, during the long drives:


By the end of the day we made it across all of Arizona:


In the town of Gallop, where claimed he had an abnormally strange desire to conduct a survey of some type, we ate at a Mexican restaurant, knowing that anywhere East of New Mexico, it might be hard to find good Mexican. (Chevy’s doesn’t count….)

They have BEAUTIFUL sunsets in this part of the world:


For the night, we are bedding down at our old faithful. When you really think about it, Wal-Mart is really the only store the United States actually needs, since you can get everything there! Then we would never have trouble finding a place to park the RV….


Tomorrow, we are going to see if we can make it past Oklahoma City, which is about 700 miles away!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had almost forgotten gas could be that cheap. Which reminds me I need to gas up the car tomorrow, ouch!

Glad to see you all are safely on your way. Have a great time!

Simply Tiffany said...

Well it sounds like y'all are making good time. A four hour nap? The red flowers are lovely, nice picture Matthew...you should get Ben to give you credit for your pictures! :). Hey! You can't trade the boat for a tank until I get a chance to ride in it, okay? And Chevy's does count... :). Safe travels today!

Miss Amy said...

Nice pictures and update! :-)
Matthew - I like the flowers! Very pretty! :-)
Ben - Can you really drive upside down? Now I want to try it! :-P
See you all soon!
Amy :O)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you're having a good trip thus far and getting some photos and ... naps? :P

MJ

Dana said...

You Hectors are a creative crew! Hope the food gets as good as the gas prices. Eat some fried pickles for me ... no one else will touch em' around here!

Thomas and Lindsey said...

Thanks for the donut! I expect it to still be at the ready for my Illinois arrival... Ben I told you before you left, RUBBER SIDE DOWN!!!! Dishes are finally done. Miss all of you.

Cheryl (Copper's Wife) said...

Lovely sunset!! Glad to hear that you all are making such good progress and seeing that you're having such a delightful time!