Thursday, June 4, 2009

North! Wisconsin.... Minnesota.... Norta Dakota.... Montana.... and Beyond!

On the road again en route with a more northerly heading than we have previously taken before. After we dropped Ben off at the airport in Bloomington, IL, we immediately started up the state to our good friends for an awesome breakfast. Our visit with them was entirely too short, but we had to hit the road again.

Since we were going up through Wisconsin, we HAD to find a cheese store. I texted google on my phone to find the nearest shop, which first took us to a residential area. I’m sure many people there had cheese in their refrigerators, but not exactly what we were looking for. We finally found an authentic cheese factory with a mouse, that had been exposed to radioactive material, outside.



After the day of travel through Wisconsin and into Minnesota, we stopped at a little diner with the “Big Al” burger. Dad was hungry.



The night was spent in Frontenac State Park. We didn’t stop at any historic markers there, so we still don’t know what Frontenac is. We’ll google it when we get home. Our lively family around the fire.



A very lovely lady sitting in the outside amphitheatre.



The next day we went through the town of Red Wing. Interestingly enough it is where they make the famous “Red Wing Shoe” which is pretty much the only shoe dad wears. We had to make a stop.



This day was spent mostly driving through Minnesota with very few stops. The kids were working on navigating with the free AAA maps we got.



Arriving in Fargo, ND we found that the airport there was probably named after our family. We should inherit it I think.



We spent the night in Bismarck, ND at the local Super Wal-Mart, which is always fun! Since it’s the capitol we decided to stop by the building. One of the ugliest capitol buildings I have ever seen. It looks like a hotel.



Mom has a fascination with history which is actually rubbing off on all of her kids, so since we were in the area we had to stop by one of the forts that Lewis and Clark built. We spent most of the day in the Fort Mandan area.



Dad is ready to defend the fort.



We tried to see if we could stay in the room for the night, but the tour guide wasn’t willing.



Inside the visitor’s center Bex decided to play with fire. Bad idea.



Anthony was kinda hungry. Even if it was plastic.



Furs furs furs!



Oh give me a home….. Where the buffalo roam….



Lewis and Clark had a dog named Seaman. He was a big dog.



After the fort, we made our way to the Badlands of North Dakota. A whole family shot at one of the lookouts.



After this shot with the buffalo we ran back to the RV. The buffalo started chasing us.



We found a very nice couple there.



We had a lot of driving ahead of us, and I was ready to take on the road.



Although Anthony wasn’t too excited about all the bugs on the front. I was happy we did our job in reducing the number of pests in the world!



We are currently in Montana, making our way through this huge state. We have to make it to Boise by Friday to pick up a sail boat part, but who knows what we’ll see along the way!


9 comments:

Miss.M said...

Ohh, Brownies with whipping cream, fresh strawberries, cousins. What could be better? Y'all are really missing out ;). We all miss you guys a lot. See ya soon!

kymk99 said...

So when will you all be home so we can come up for a visit? I want to pick blueberries and thought I do that and visit with you all at the same time! :o)

Mrs. Reynolds :o)

The Schroeder Family said...

Too Funny!!! Our Uncle (Dad's brother) lives in Fargo, ND. When we went on our vacation in 2006 we hung on that sign and took a picture for your family... do you remember? We posted it on our blog and everything!

It sounds like you guys are having a great time. But have you tried a buffalo burger yet? They are WAY better than beef burgers... you must try some before leaving the mid-west.

We can't wait until you come home.
The Schroeders

Thomas and Lindsey said...

We do remember Schroeders! Coming into Fargo we saw the airport and had to find the sign that you guys hung on. Buffalo burgers were on the menu last night! Yum!

Can't wait to be back...
TJH

Simply Tiffany said...

Oh, that is one HUGE burger!!! Did y'all eat that without a fork? lol, I love your dad's expression in that photo. :)

My, but y'all do look so...what's the word...enthusiastic? Is Nic looking at the cut on his finger in that picture?

The very lovely lady in that very lovely picture looks like she's missing me...I just know it! ;)

Love the fur shot! And that is a very nice couple, indeed.

Anonymous said...

O.K. I'm new to all this blogging stuff, but I am loving your pictures and comments. FYI, Nampa, Idaho might be on your way out of town from Boise. The memorial bench that we are doing for Eric will be on the campus of Nampa Christian High School on West Flamingo.It has been delivered, but isn't in place, sorry. Love you all. Susan

Jessica McDonald said...

AMAZING pictures, y'all!! :) I very much enjoyed looking at them!

That Hector airport is awesome! If y'all inherit you *must* give free plane rides to your friends! *big grin* Hmmm...actually, the more I think about it the more I really like that idea! lol!

Glad to see y'all are having fun!! I'm dreadfully jealous! *grin* I miss y'all!!!

~Jess

DeusPrimus said...

I have finally got past my sulking and sobbing so that I can comment on a blog that I would rather be living than reading!

Looks like y'all are having a grand time. Yes, Thomas, I am very proud of you for getting everyone lost, someone has got to make sure it happens every once and awhile...

I see cones in the picture of the Hector Airport!!!! They are lying on their sides, and surely abandoned. Did you bring them home for me?

Capitol buildings out West usually leave something to be desired. That is post-neo-classical (aka. modern and post-modern) architecture for you....

I live for furs! I worship furs! Is there a woman in this wretched world who doesn't? JT at first glance looked like he was wearing a big skunk.

Smile Anton! Each mosquito lays a raft of eggs that contains around 400 new baby mosquitoes. It looks like you killed a lot of bugs, and at least 1000 might be mosquitoes, and that means 400,000 mosquitoes will never exist!

Hurry home, I miss each and every one of you!

BFH

Elizabeth said...

Okay so the fur picture and the buffalo roaming . . . those made me laugh. . . a lot. =D Y'all are so funny . . . I dunno how I got so behind on the posts . . . lol . . . I guess it's from having a play by play. =]