Saturday, July 19, 2008

Boldly going where no Hector has gone before....

It is with great nervousness and trepidation I am prepared to announce the biggest piece of news to hit the front page of a Hector blog, EVER. Yes, this is even bigger than the motorcycle incident. Now you are curious, aren’t you?

As our family gets older, we begin to enter uncharted waters with each successive year. At first this meant drivers licenses, then college, but now we have officially reached the next level of family development. Thomas has requested the honor of courting Miss Ashley.

When you have finished being surprised, I will give you a few details.

Most of you already know Thomas, so we can ignore him, and focus on Ashley, or Ash, as she is affectionately known.

Ashley is the third child, and oldest girl of the family, whom we know from our dance studio. She is a dancer extraordinaire, very fun to have around, and lovely both in face and spirit. Ashley is also Sara’s ballet teacher, a very good instructor, and quite skilled with kids.

You may notice the fact that Thomas is the second born in our family, which means that he is even outpacing me in this area. Someone brought up the fact that there is a Biblical precedent in this type of circumstance, and were considering a situation in which Ashley should work for our family for seven years, marry me, then work another seven years for Thomas. However, that appears to be illegal in this country, so that idea was scrapped. This was fine with me….

As you can tell this entire realm of courtship is very new for the Hector family, so we will be learning as we go. Please be in prayer for both of our families, pray for wisdom on the part of the parents, and especially be praying for Thomas and Ashley. Pray that God will give all the grace, patience, and wisdom that they will need for this journey.

Updates and insights will be posted to this blog occasionally, since this is big news, so stay tuned. Until then, here is a good photo to end with:

26 comments:

The Girl with the Red Lenses said...

The Davis family sends their congrats to Thomas and Ashley! We can't wait to meet her and welcome her into our church family.

-Red (on behave of the Davis Family)

Elissa said...

Oh, CONGRATULATIONS Thomas!!! (and Ashley!) I'll be praying for y'all!!!! May God bless y'all's courtship!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Thomas and Ashley! We'll be praying and faithfully watching for those updates and insights!

Laura

Anonymous said...

What a blessing!! We will be praying and supporting you all in every way we can.

Jessica McDonald said...

Congratulations,Thomas, Ashley and Hector family!!!! What an exciting time for y'all! I was so suprised when Melinda told me at Church this morning! Such unexpected, but exciting and wonderful news!!

We'll be keeping y'all in our prayers!

In Christ Alone, Jessica

Simply Tiffany said...

Wow!!! What a wonderful surprise!!! Congratulations, y'all!!! Enjoy this exciting time and make sure you get tons of photos! :) We'll be praying that God will give you His guidance and wisdom during this time!

Elizabeth said...

As, I have already sent my congratulations to said party, I have only one thing to say. He must be happy because I've never seen him actually *smile* in a picture before. :)

Blessings to everyone,

Eliza/Qe

Dani said...

Congratulations Thomas and Ashley, lots of prayers headed your way!!!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS Thomas and Ashley!! I will be keeping both family's in my prayers. May the Lord draw you both closer together through this.

-Miss Elizabeth

Erber Correspondent said...

That IS big news...and wonderful news!

Excited and praying for you all -
the Erber family

Brooke said...

Congratulations!! What exciting news!! I couldn't help but smile while reading it. I haven't talked to y'all in a little while--so it's neat to see what the Lord is doing in Thomas' life. My prayers are with you both!

And good to hear from you Ben. Thanks for dropping by :-)

~~Brooke~~

Anonymous said...

Is Ashley coming to Homeschool Convention? We want to meet her. Congrats!

Kendra Fletcher said...

Congrats, Thomas and Ashley! Too fun!

Mighty Joe's Mom (and a few others, too ;D)

Miss Amy said...

Congratulations Thomas and Ashley!
We'll be praying for you! :-)
Amy for the family :-)

Anonymous said...

On behalf of the other side, we would also like to extend warm welcomes to Thomas and Family. Congrats to Thomas and Ashley and may God bless their journeys.

The Captain's Wife said...

Congratulations! This is very exciting news indeed. I am personally happy to have someone going through this with their boys before we venture down this road with our boys! Praying for many blessings... The Ambrosinos

kymk99 said...

Thanks for sharing this exciting news with all of us. We will be praying that God leads all of you as you travel down this road. We look forward to meeting Ashley!

The Reynolds Family :o)

ChristophersMommy said...

Congratulations Thomas and Ashley!!! It's funny somebody had mentioned that the Hectors and the Broers had gone camping together and I remember thinking to myself wouldn't it be funny if one of the Hectors wound up with one of the Broers? A prophecy? Probably just silly thinking on my part. I always wonder who will end up with whom. I think it's great that you guys know each other from SONdance. I remember when Ashley was a little girl in level 1 and now she has blossomed into a beautiful young woman. It kind of makes me sad but she couldn't of picked a better guy to court (besides another Hector) so I am happy for her but this is also a big step in both of their lives so I will pray for Gods direction and purpose in their lives. Baby Christopher also says congratualtions and that he's tired!!! (He is asleep in my lap)

busymom_1114 said...

Oh my heck! *sniff* *snort* I am laughing so hard I am afraid they are going to kick me out of the library! And crying beofre that! Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow.

You are all in our thoughts and prayers....now seriously, does Ash(ley) know how to pick grapes?

Cassie said...

This is very exciting!!!
Me and My Family will be praying!
Can't wait to meet her =)

Holly said...

That's just wonderful, I wish ya'll all the best. I'm sure God has much in store for both of you.

God Bless,
Holly

Joy said...

Wow, that's pretty exciting. :-) Good for them!
Post more pictures soon. :-)

Anonymous said...

That's funny, the only other guy I currently know who is courting is also a Thomas. :-)

What an awesome and amazing step to take! I have prayed for y'all several times since reading this (last week) and will continue to do so.

Many blessings!

-Melanie

P.S. Thank you to those who firmly stood their ground against repeating that particular Bible story. If it weren't for your level heads I may have become an old maid. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Papa and Mama Broers say, Its been about a month and we couldnt be happier for how things are going. Thomas is a delight to have around and we look forward to future times together.

Anonymous said...

well, so far I think that things are going great, and I am loving having Thomas around when my own brothers are off at work or something. It is like having a bonus brother who treats me a lot nicer than the originals... haha. Love you all, and can't wait to see you guys soon xoxo

Anonymous said...

That is very exciting and very precious. :) I hope everything goes wonderfully well with Mr. Thomas and Miss Ashley. How beautiful. May God bless them both and may they both continue to seek His face through this time and in future events.

And, I do apologize for being 25 comments late. *blushes* I found out a few weeks ago, but kept forgetting to come and comment.

Again congratulations! Blessings and prayers to both families.