Sunday, October 4, 2009

Brother against brother

Friends,
A sad, curious fact about the Civil War (the War between the States, for those of you below the Mason-Dixon) is that family members sometimes found themselves on opposite sides of the conflict. The H boys usually get along rather well, but this weekend's reenactment brought tensions to a boil as Thomas and Nick donned Confederate garb and Ben aligned himself with the Union.

Thomas and Nick are all smiles, seemingly oblivious to the carnage that is about to transpire.

What's this??? Ben in blue??? I know a certain someone that is going to have a LOT of questions!!

How can Mrs. H hold her composure at a time like this?!?! That's Mrs. H's brother behind her.

A skirmish has erupted, Thomas reaches for a powder charge!

The horror, the horror.

Sisters wait patiently at camp, eager for news about their brother's fate.

As the day wears on, Ben stands at attention, waiting to be pressed into action.

As the day wears on, Ben stands at attention some more, waiting to be pressed into action.

Ben is finally summoned to duty! He is shooting at his own kin!!

Undaunted, Thomas and Nick return fire! Family reunions will never be the same.

Fire!! The soldier on the right has been hit in the leg. Or maybe he is doing the Hokey-Pokey.

This is my favorite shot of the day.

I don't know what you call this thing, but it sure puts on a good show.

What's that?!?! Through the smoke... it looks like Nick has been hit!! Augh!!!

Oh wait, NOW I get it...
Did Ben feel so bad about killing his brothers that he decided to defect? Maybe it was because he has to keep a certain someone happy. Those Southerners wear the grooviest footwear!


Before heading home, we stopped off to watch a craftsman cast pewter buttons. He asked Matthew to lend a hand. Ben has decided to join the Army during the Viet Nam era.

When Tiffany came to visit, we were in the middle of a hot spell. She pointed out that California had been cloudless for the duration of her visit. This is what the sky looked like as we drove home, and these last two images are dedicated to her.

be safe,
Hec @ 19

16 comments:

Simply Tiffany said...

*sobs* I still don't find that meager excuse good enough! Blue is a nice color and all, but when it comes to uniforms, it's gray all the way! *mores sobs* How could Ben do something like this? And fight against his own brothers, too....maybe he needs a flag for his next birthday to help him see the light. :) *waits for a better explanation*

Awwwww...Mrs. H.!!! You look soooo adorable!

Hokey-Pokey...after all, that's what it's all about! :)

Oooooh, your favorite shot is beautiful! Frame worthy, methinks!

*smile* Oh, I LOVE the long gray coat...and those shoes complete with outfit...what style! The Viet Nam era clothes look nice too.

*does the happy dance* Clouds! Lovely, white, cotton candy looking, fluffy clouds!!! Oh, I love them!! The Indian looks very happy too. Thanks! I love those pictures!!

Miss y'all soooo much!

Jessica McDonald said...

Y'all all look great...with the exception of Ben in the blue uniform. Tsk! Tsk! Ben, I am quite ashamed of you! *shakes head in disbelief* I think you should try a World War II uniform instead. :)
How is Nic? I hope his wound wasn't too serious! Thank you for fighting for the cause, Nic and Thomas! ;D
The ladies look beautiful!!!

Miss y'all! ~Jess

Matthew Hector said...

Right on BEN!!! You kind of look good in blue. Love the 7th picture of Ben. It was a memorable day.

Anonymous said...

I should explain...it is all my fault that Ben ended up in Union blue. You see, those Rebs ran out of uniforms and I mentioned that the 20th Maine always has plenty of extra uniforms and rifles available. Then when the Hector family visited our 20th Maine camp, our very convincing Lt. started talking to Ben...well, the rest is history. It was an amazing weekend. I am so glad you all had a great time and hope we see you 'fighting' on either side of the line in the near future! :o)

Mrs. Reynolds

Cheryl (Copper's Wife) said...

Fun, fun, fun!! Looks like a wonderful weekend. Missed you all yesterday, though.

Jean, you looked incredible in your period costume, and the girls were adorable.

Sara (and for our trip to China, Abby) said...

This post brings back so many memories! My family use to re-enact the War Between the States (not just the Southern term, but official name given by Congress! Southerners like to call it the War of Northern Aggression or the Second War of Independence!:)). It was always such a neat thing to do as a family. We were with the 19th Texas Inf. I miss the smell of campfire and gunpowder, especially this time of year! Maybe as our children get older...

So glad you all got to experience it! The girls clothes looked great! Thanks for sharing your memories!

Anton said...

Great post father, I had a fantastic time this weekend.
I loved the twelfth picture, and think Tiffany was right on the framing idea.
Ben I am still trying to get over the fact that you fought for the North, and I have never liked the North's uniform.
Although since your family I ought to get over it. *Grinning*
Thomas and Nick I had a great time watching the two of you on the field.

Anton

Thomas and Lindsey said...

It was a good week full of wonderful memories (memories of grabbing Ben's ankle and trying to trip him as he marched over me while I was "dead").

Thanks for getting some pictures Dad.

TJH

JB said...

Oh, it was a memorable weekend - watching my sons fight against each other. How sad. I was thankful it was just play-acting. In reality, it must have been horrible knowing that family members fought for different outcomes. Not sure the boys really understood that, as they were having too much fun.

I'm not sure "hoop skirts" are my most flattering fashion look, nor could I accomplish my duties in them - or even sit down gracefully. But it was fun.

Some of the photos were taken with my camera - not bad for a little guy. Can anyone tell the difference?

Having the whole family (well almost) at the event was great fun. It's rarer nowadays, but sweeter for each moment.

Mom/JB/Mrs.H

Miss.M said...

Please, oh please, tell me that Ben did not joined the twentieth Maine!!! If he did I just might disown him!! One the other hand I am very proud of Thomas and Nick for joining the 43rd Virginia! Love y'all!

JB said...

Mal,
Ben's heart will always be in the South. The 20th Maine just happened to have a uniform. But he's back in his right mind again - so no worries.

Love y'all too,
Auntie Jean

Miss.M said...

I'm still kinda appalled that he even agreed to it! But I'll forgive him. :D

C and H Walker said...

Great pictures!

Stacy McDonald said...

Jean looks absolutely adorable! I love the dress!

I'm wondering what sort of mental duress Ben must have been under to have become so confused that he put on the WRONG uniform. He must have been horrified when he "came to his senses."

I LOVE your "favorite" shot and agree with Tiff that it is frameworthy.

Hope the dust has settled and that everyone has fully recovered from their wounds.

Hec @ 19 said...

Stacy,
As it turns out, both Nic and Thomas were fatally wounded multiple times. In our Lord's infinite wisdom, He chose to heal the boys fully after every assault. Ben was spared all day long and did not suffer anything worse than a temporary bout of tinnitus. Those guns are LOUD!!

That is a Confederate cannon in the shot that everyone seems to like.

Joy said...

Lol, looks like you guys had fun. :-)