Monday, October 19, 2009

It's Superman, it's a plane, no...

.
It's a bird!

I have been asked to put a bit of explanation in this post. Back story is very important, unless you are writing a mystery novel, which I am not, so I have no qualms about telling how things came to be as they were, as I might otherwise have. Now that we have that straight, I'd like to introduce you to Algernon Moncrief Nesia. Read the story, then think about it, you might get the name....


Algernon, or Algy, as he was known, happened to be a little song sparrow that managed to fly directly into the fence around our pool. No signs of damage, but the little guy had lost all of his faculties, and lay listlessly on the ground. I had Nic retrieve him for me, as I was shoe-less, and held I him for a bit. He did not seem to mind being held, and his eyes were nearly shut. After about an hour of me holding him, he regained his composure, and still seemed to like sitting on or near my hand. Once he was fully back to normal, he would fly about the house, landing on various perches, including my head, but would alway hop back on my finger when I put my hand near him.


After one night sleeping inside the house, he seemed to be better, and was trying try to fly out our windows, unsuccessfully. So, I got him back on my finger, on which he would still sit without restraint, and took him back outside. He made a short flight, sat on the ground, let me get him on my finger again, and then flew another short distance. After a couple repetitions, he finally flitted off into the trees, and I have not seen him since. Just like kids these days, you sweat and slave for their well being, and then they are just gone! They never call, they never write, just leaving us to worry.... *sigh* Take care Algy!

6 comments:

SuperAngel said...

haha! Loved the title. ;)

maybe next spring he'll come back around.

Cheryl (Copper's Wife) said...

Perhaps he'll return with his brother, Earnest.

Simply Tiffany said...

*laughing* What a delightful name!! And he's so cute,too. Well, I was hoping to read that he decided to stay and be your pet (not a falcon, but still a bird :)), but I'm glad he was able to get strong and healthy again.

Thomas and Lindsey said...

Ben, I hope you've now realized for the first time in your life the vital importance of being earnest.

Jessica McDonald said...

Ben, that is one ADORABLE bird!!! I love it!! I've always seen them flying around and always wished for one...you got to take care of one! Lucky you! :)

Thomas, that is the most absolutely hilarious comment I have ever read. I about died laughing. Seriously. :D

C and H Walker said...

That's so cool! :D