Sunday, January 18, 2009

Ben: Through the Ages pt. 1

Friends,

You have long been accustomed to Ben and Thomas doing the lion's share of posting on this blog, but the times they are a changin'. Ben is preoccupied with his career and Thomas is up to his neck in Paramedic school. Jean's hands are pretty full as a matter of course so that leaves....me. As a public service (and because I couldn't come up with a better idea) please give your attention to this, the first installment of an in-depth look at the life and times of Benjamin F. Hector. These images are in no particular order, and any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely intentional, as these are real images of real people. Let us begin.

Yaaaayhh! Ben has his Bachelor's degree. This little piece of paper that he got in the mail proves it. He worked long and hard for it.

The Hector's are real big on going to the beach. Going to the mountains doesn't hold the same allure because, well,...we LIVE in the mountains. Only Ben could find a coconut on a beach that does not have palm trees.

Were you aware that Ben loves to read? This was taken when we lived in Patterson, which was ten years ago.

One can never dress too carefully while serving ice cream. Remember, head injuries last a lifetime!

From Ben's goatee period: May I please introduce you to Redbeard, the most vicious Pirate in all of Mountain Ranch.

Ben was put in charge of our last Reformation party. He did a good job. Please note the three-ring binder. You just can't manage a Reformation party without one.

The Merry-go-round in Disneyland. The enchanted expression is genuine.

Sorry Thomas; I had to drag you into this.

We are in an aviary at a zoo. If memory serves, we were in Fresno, but I'm not positive about that. This bird was very fond of Ben, and wouldn't leave him alone. Maybe it's the goatee.

I'm not sure what Ben's preoccupation with the use of protective clothing while preparing food is all about. I'll keep an eye on him...

Ben tried his hand at digging for dinosaurs at Creative Expedition's site in Colorado. It was difficult, dirty work, but he had a great time. You will have to ask him what kind of dinosaur he was working on.

There is a very cool place in San Francisco called the Exploratorium. This is just one of the many fun things you can do there.

If you are going to ride on an orange waterslide, it is best to sit on an orange innertube. That's what Ben always says.

This is Ben, circa 2001.

Ben really does love the beach. Invite yourself along, and he will find the time to take you there.

Ben served as a Poll Worker for a couple of years. He recognizes the value of our right to vote.

More books. I'm surprised that we don't have more pictures of Ben with a book in his hand.

They are one thin inch away from sinking that boat.

Ben does not have a friend named Wilson.

Ben takes the graveyard shift when driving the RV. That's why he is sleeping away the daylight.

That's me in the background. I still have that shirt. That's Ben in the foreground. He still has that face.

Well folks, there you have it!! If you have enjoyed this fascinating glimpse into Ben's world and would like to see more, you will have to put more pressure on me to do it again than Ben puts on me to NOT do it again. Keep your cards and letters coming!

be safe,
Hec @ 19

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Great retrospect of Ben growing up - and he has definitely grown up - I love the photo of him wearing the Goodguys tee, ok so I'm a little bias on that one! Great post!

Mr. Reynolds

JB said...

Thanks for the walk down memory lane, I love it. There are no pictures of him vacuuming while reading! I do believe he wears more hats though.

Kev, he wore the Good Guys shirt to Disneyland - you should be proud!!

Sweet pictures dear husband.

LY, JB/Mom

Anonymous said...

Keep 'em coming!!! For those of us who have only known Ben for a few years, this was a lot of fun!!! Didn't know he loved the beach. Kinda figured he was a big reader, though. I have also seen him prepare food without protective gear, but the welder's mask at the fireside somehow seemed appropriate!

DeusPrimus said...

For one of the very few times in my life, I am speechless. I guess this is what I get for creating a "family" blog....

Most of those photos I recognize; however, the last one is completely outside my memory. I plead temporary insanity!

Later,

BFH

Elizabeth said...

Wow - Ben's all grown up!!! He looked just like my brothers in 2001...kinda weird :P I love growing up pics except sadly I don't have many myself because mom said because I had 4 big brothers before me they took up all her time instead of taking cute pics of me.

G2g!! (next I want to see Thomas' growing up pics)haha...

-Elizabeth @ Walking in His Steps

SuperAngel said...

wow! how fun! I am just hoping no one in my family sees this and gets any ideas! ;) lol!

that first picture is really great! Congrats on your degree!
Looks like you have had a wonderful life, Ben! Glad your dad shared it with us all!

Amanda
The Daily Planet

Elizabeth said...

Hey Ben,

Thanks for stopping by! You got it right...life is never boring in a big family. Except those times when we all stand around and ask each other what we want to do, but even then it's not boring because sometime sooner or later one of us is going to say something strange and make us all laugh and when is laughing ever boring :)

Have a good day!

Anonymous said...

Oh dear those are funny - seeing Ben at so many stages in his life - all jumbled. :P

Miss Jocelyn
http://aponderingheart.com

Anonymous said...

That was great Mr.Hector. It was fun to see pictures form before we got to know Ben.
Ben, When in doubt plead temporarily insane. ;)
See ya soon.
Miss.M

Simply Tiffany said...

Ahhh!! See what happens when I can't find time to keep up on my blog reading!?!? :) Oh, what a delightful post!

The army shirt and helmet picture is most humorous. I don't know that I've ever seen anybody wear protective gear whilst serving ice cream. :) Ben, were you ever interested in joining the army?

I love the photo of the bird on top of your head, Ben...it's just too bad you didn't have that pirate-y look when you went to the zoo. Did you teach it a sea shanty or two? :)

Oh, and nice pirate look too...your brothers should follow suit and then y'all can call yourselves the "Pirates Who Don't Do Anything." Although, it sounds like y'all have been far too busy to post, so maybe that's not such a good title. :)

Kilts!!! I didn't know y'all had kilts! What did you wear them for? See, y'all should've come out to our last Reformation Day Faire...you would've fit right in! :)

So, they didn't sink the boat? What a great picture!

Yes, yes! More pictures! Although, pictures of the other children would be quite fascinating too, I think. :) Thanks for a delightful post, Mr. Hector! It's bound to be the talk of the day in our house. :)

Thomas and Lindsey said...

Ok... no more kilt pictures (and there never will be anymore with myself in them)!!! Also, I think the picture with "Ben & Bird" was taken at Six Flags Marine World... or whatever its called now.

Thomas

Elissa said...

Hehehe! GREAT post Mr. H.! Since I only met y'all less than a year ago, 'tis great fun seeing all those pictures! :D
Love the braided goatee! hahaha. Oh, and the picture of serving icecream in a helmet... classic!

Joy said...

Lol, that was quite an amusing post! I very much enjoyed all those pictures... make sure to post part 2!
But wait a moment, what happened to those glasses? Does he wear contacts now?
Hahaha, now I'm going to show this to the rest of my family so that they can enjoy it as well.
The only trouble with having these pictures up on the internet is that you can never blackmail him with them because they have already been published.

(Speechless? Ben? Are you feeling alright?)