Monday, January 5, 2009

Breakfast without Orange Juice

I remember a commercial on television when I was a youngster. It featured Anita Bryant who stated; "Breakfast without orange juice is like a day without sunshine". There was no orange juice served in the Hector household today, and there was no sunshine in our day. I point this out to offer balance to Thomas' post which bragged about our sunny weather. It does cloud up here from time to time, and it does rain. Today's rain was not enough to float the little orange ring in the rain gauge, but it was enough to keep everyone in the house (except me).
It was just enough rain to cause Checks (the horse) to alternate between grazing and standing under his shelter.


It wasn't enough to keep the chickens from scratching about in the yard, or to keep the rooster from crowing.
The turkeys are penned in an area that does not afford them a chance to feel the rain. It is just as well; they wouldn't appreciate it.
It was enough rain to cause me to occupy myself in the barn. I spent some time this morning splitting kindling.
I spent the afternoon mucking out the sheep stall, but there is absolutely nothing about that task that is photogenic.

Be sure and ask Ben about his car's ability to collect rain water, and his methods for removing it.

This is Aunt Debbie's parakeet. We are babysitting the little rascal. There were two parakeets in the cage when it first arrived, but the cat got into the house. I was the only one home at the time, and I'm really sorry about what happened. She's still trying to come up with a way for me to make it up to her. This has nothing to do with rain, but I didn't feel the incident warranted its own post. I wish the parakeet wouldn't look at me like that.

be safe,
Hec @ 19

8 comments:

kymk99 said...

Well, we did have orange juice with breakfast (a very important part of my morning!) and we did not have sunshine either. But we did enjoy two beautiful sunny days here in the valley, although it was very cold. Thanks for making us valley folks feel a little better!

Mrs. Reynolds :o)

JB said...

Yes, it does rain here periodically. That's how we get our luscious green "lawn" that covers the hillsides. However, many a day is sunny and warm. I remember the valley winters, ugh!!

The animals do, however, eat, no matter what the weather!!

Poor Snuffy bird, poor Aunt Debbie, poor DH, happy naughty cat!

Blessings, JB

Simply Tiffany said...

I didn't know y'all had a horse! Or turkeys! The chickens I knew about. :) The parakeet is so cute! Do parakeets talk? Our friends had a Cockatiel who spoke to them and I heard that that was pretty rare. Were the boys working on school or playing a game? Wonderful pictures, as usual, Mr. Hector! They are so inspiring! Oh, and I'll be sure to ask Ben about the rain water in his car... ;)

Thomas and Lindsey said...

Yep we have a horse and he will be sticking around for awhile it seems. Sort of like an unwelcome house guest he is.

The turkeys are also unwelcome house guests that will soon be given the old phrase: "Here's your hat, what's your hurry." A.K.A. they will be relocating to the freezer.

This particular parakeet (who can't talk thank goodness! The screeching in the early morning is bad enough! I can just hear him now.... "waaaaake up lazy people! waaaaaakkee up!" Also another unwelcome house guest) will relocate as well, back to our aunts house.

I wasn't here at the time that first picture was taken, but I am willing to guess that they were working on school. They will not be relocating any time soon. Good diligent children!

Great turkey shot dad. Did it happen to take a peck at the smooth and glassy turkey staring right back at him?

TJH

JB said...

Yes, they were doing school. Back at it after the Christmas break!!

It's sunny today, however, which makes staying inside much harder!

Hec @ 19 said...

Turkeys are curious without being inquisitive. If you can figure that one out, you are one smart turkey! He did not peck at the lens, but Ginger tried to the entire time I was setting up the kindling shot.

SuperAngel said...

Hey Ben,
thanks for that sunshine... it got here... :) The sun is brightly shining today although it is -18 degrees outside! brrr...
;)
Amanda
The Daily Planet

Miss Amy said...

Haha! Love the shot of the turkey! :-P

Too bad about the parakeet! :-/

Ok Ben! Do a post on how your car fills with water, and how you remove it! :-) Oh! Please! :-) Hehe!!

Have a great day guys! We think of you often!
Amy :O)