Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Oh Mister Sun

Right now at 4:19pm in the beautiful mountains of Northern California, the temperature is a balmy 57 degrees. It got up to 62 degrees at the peak of the day with the sun shining as bright as could be.

Not too far away in the booming metropolis of Sacramento (and everywhere else in the valley for that matter) it is only 10 degrees above freezing, due to the dense fog enveloping the low lands.

Given this brief description of two relatively close, but extremely different ecosystems, where would you like to live? Still can't decide? Let me give you a couple of pictures of random stuff in the sun to gaze upon, and hopefully you can make up your mind after that. First lets start with a picture of the SUN itself...


Take a look at this spacious backyard complete with SUN and a "colder than is healthy" pool...


The house even has a bell to ring when the SUN rises...


See how the SUN casts this more than interesting shadow? Now I wonder what that nut was supposed to be holding...


Oh yes! That's where it goes. This is the SUNshade for the many varieties of bugs that pass through our area...


The sole purpose of this nail is to keep the SUN off of that slim portion of rock...


Oops! Someone forgot to take their hand out of the SUN!! Silly them!! I hope it doesn't get burned...


See how the SUN shines into this beautiful backyard? Look at that wonderful lawn! How can you possibly turn that down...


Pass by this one as quick as you can. Didn't your mom tell you that you can go blind from staring into the SUN for too long? It's true. Good thing I memorized the QWERTY keyboard...


Tired of the hustle and bustle of day to day life? Sit back! Relax! Put up your feet and enjoy the beautiful SUN as it sinks closer and closer to the tops of the rolling hills to the West...


Ok, enough with the sales pitch. It's time to put my wonderful and gorgeous dog in the spotlight... or should I say SUNlight? She loves catching sticks and looking evil all at the same time...


Ginger is allergic to chewing gum (aspartame and sorbitol make her edgy and congested), so she has to chew on something all natural...


Isn't she cute? I think so...


Enjoy your weather wherever you may be, and remember, if God wanted people to be cold He would've made the fog on the first day.

7 comments:

JB said...

TJH,
I enjoyed sitting in the "sunshine" with you this afternoon. I didn't even need a sweatshirt. Very different from the valley fog yesterday. Oh I do love it up here as well.

Ginger looks so mean, she's such a fake.

Thanks for the "sunny" post.

Love, Mom

Hec @ 19 said...

Friends,

I admit that my Sun, I mean son, is taking a shot at you valley dwellers. With any luck, a few of you will move up here.

be safe,
Hec @ 19

Anonymous said...

Glad to read the comments to know which one of you to growl at......... Ten degrees above freezing? We were a balmy 39* here today, and never, ever saw a shadow. Okay, I take that back. Lots of shadows INSIDE the house where we had the lights on in the middle of the day!

Yet, I've lived in this valley my whole life. That's more than half a century. Sort of seems that God ordained for me to be a life long valley girl, so I will rejoice and be glad (and maybe still growl at you just a little).

Dani said...

PHLLLLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!

Did you know the fog makes you more thankful for the sun? Really. You cannot understand true appreciation for the sun until you have spent a week or two in dense fog.

Okay, okay, so I'm just trying to convince myself that I like fog, and nope, it's not working. We're all freezing and damp.

However, one thing we have that you don't... a cuter dog.

Simply Tiffany said...

lol...what a thoroughly enjoyable post, Thomas! *sigh* 62 is beginning to sound rather warm when being compared our whopping 33 today.

The pictures are lovely with all that sunshine pouring through the trees and casting shadows on things. I don't think I've ever seen pictures of y'alls property. It looks gorgeous!

lol...fake sweeteners aren't a favorite of mine either. I think I've given up my quest of finding gum that has "real" sugar in it.

Wishing all y'all a very happy new year!

kymk99 said...

Well, I don't think we could move up there anytime soon, but you could invite us up for a visit to enjoy the SUN! :o)

Thanks for sharing your sunny pictures with us all in the valley fog.

Mrs. Reynolds :o)

Bobbi said...

Hey Thomas,
Great job on the pics! Yep, it causes me to want to make the trek up the hill with my family to visit y'all and escape the valley fog (although today is lovely). And yes, Ginger is very cute!
Blessings, Mrs. B