Monday, December 1, 2008

That explains it

Jean and I get lots of compliments about our family. Our sons are kind, mature and helpful. They possess self-restraint. The old idiom stating; "Boys will be boys" never cut it with us. We have been vigilant, tireless and uncompromising when it comes to the upbringing of our sons and daughters. Of course, our greatest tool in the toolbox has always been Scripture. One need look no further than Proverbs to find the proper lesson for absolutely any challenge that comes up between a parent and a son.

There is, however, another technique that has shown to be useful in helping the H boys to stay centered.
Yes, there's nothing quite like a good old fashioned wrestling match when it comes to blowing off steam! Even Nick enjoys getting in on the action!

Matthew, always the good brother, is quick to come to Anthony's aid. Ben sees it as a retreat, and moves to pursue Matthew. Two separate matches devolve into one melee.

Nick believes that this opens an opportunity for him, which he promptly takes advantage of. Jean and the girls are content to remain as amused spectators, and are not drawn into the fracas.

A final glimpse of the dog-pile, one that happens to show most of their faces. Anthony is under there, somewhere. I don't think he is very happy.

When it is all said and done, a strange sense of contentment, accomplishment and endearment has settled over the crowd. As usual, the larger grapplers have prevailed. They celebrate their victory by wearing matching footwear.

This photo illustrates why it is unwise to shoot portraits with a wide angle lens. I assure you that Ben and Thomas are properly proportioned.

12 comments:

JB said...

I still have a hard time watching the wrestling matches - they always look so serious!! However, I will defer to my much loved and respected husband, who says it is good for our boys.

I was wondering why BFH & TJH looked so short. Where dear one is your proper camera gear??

Love and blessings, JB

Jessica McDonald said...

That is sooo funny, y'all! Those pics (and the amazing commentary) had me laughing hysterically!
Today opened as a rather *sad* one and this post was just the thing to cheer me up!! :-)

And that last picture is so hilarious! lol. Oh, and great shoes! :-D

We miss y'all!

~Jessica

Thomas and Lindsey said...

The two midgets with extra long facial features have prevailed!!

TJH

DeusPrimus said...

There is something about wrestling one's brothers that is quite exhilarating; it really gets the blood flowing, the muscles straining, and the bones thrown out of alignment. Especially since the boys are not as easy to beat as they used to be! (Don't anyone tell them I said that!)

Midgets of the world unite!

To quote a good friend of mine "So which one are you?..."

BFH

Lazy D Ranch said...

Nice shoes! -Goose-

Simply Tiffany said...

Mr. H.,

Bravo!! What a delightful post! I've been in fits of laughter! Unfortunately, poor Caleb doesn't have many opportunities to rough house with his dear little brother. :) But, every once in a while, the young men at church feel the need to impress the crowd with wrestling matches! :) But, I must agree Mrs. H., I'm usually uneasy watching them "hurt" each other. :)

So Ben...wrestling is like a free chiropractic adjustment! :)

The last photo is awfully humorous...

Anonymous said...

I really have to complement Ben and Thomas on their shoes. I remember when they only wore Hiking boots.
Loved the pictures! Miss Y'all!
~Miss.M

Kendra Fletcher said...

Oh yes, that photo is a little funky. Thomas, your neck is so llooooonnnnnggg.

But then, some of us will always be short and stocky :)

Anonymous said...

LOL you guys are hilarious and.... well, guys. My brother would have loved that. :P

The Captain's Wife said...

Hmmm...those pictures look very familiar! Like I have seen those scenes somewhere before... maybe my house? One thing is missing though... the Dad! Mike still is willing to take on all three of them and he doesn't play fair either. He is thankful that he learned about so many different pressure points in his years of martial arts. They have come in handy!

Jean - I can hardly watch as well! I have gotten somewhat "used" to it though. Now I am just worried about what they might break (bones, tables, antiques, etc.)!

SuperAngel said...

how funny! I bet it was even moreso in real life!
Nice shoes! :)
Amanda
The Daily Planet

Anonymous said...

Those wrestling fights always seem to happen when mom leaves to go somewhere. Wonder why?!! Except in your pics I see Mrs. Hector there watching it :) My mom would never be seen, Dad maybe mom never...

It can be pretty hard to break up if it's really getting bad cause I have 6 brothers who 2 are little but there's those 4 aren't so little...hehe :)

Those were such funny pics!! Great shoes too...

-Elizabeth