Tuesday, July 14, 2009

All of us: Through the ages pt. 2

Friends,
We are back (by popular demand) with the second (of three) installments in the world famous Through the ages series. Call in the kids, make some popcorn and have a good time as we stroll down memory lane.

Please let me apologize in advance to our dear friends from Illinois who have recently suffered serious water damage in their home. There are a lot of water themed photos in this collection. Water is an asset unless it is given the freedom to choose its own course. Water in lake = friend. Water coming through the ceiling = enemy.

Here we are back at the carnival. Midway rides make for great smiles. Great smiles make for great shots. You just have to be quick about it. Matthew and Thomas' casual grip is an indication of their extreme bravery.

Some interactions with supposedly friendly water are not always pleasant. This is Mono Lake, one of many remarkable lakes in the great state of California. It was crazy cold and very windy that day and Nick was a most reluctant model for this shot. Ben, being the nature lover that he is, was more cooperative. There are no boat ramps on Mono lake which earns it a spot on my "B list" of lakes.

This was taken on the day of the Six's first visit. Thomas was showing them how to turn a blade of grass into a whistle. To the best of my recollection, this was the last time that this skill has ever been used by anyone in our family.

LET"S MAKE A CONTEST OUT OF THIS PHOTO!!! Can you figure out (just by looking at the photo, no cheating!) what song was being played?

Carnival shot; gotta love it! Study the background if you are getting bored.

Haircut shot; gotta love it. Study the background if you are getting bored.

Ditto.

For a little variety, let's look at another soccer shot. This was an informal game at the park in San Andreas.

There is no known explanation for why Mrs. H and Nick have the most reflective retinas in the family.

One way to judge the success of a lake trip is by assessing how wiped out everyone is by the middle of the afternoon. This is Pinecrest. They have a boat ramp (A list). They rent pontoon boats (A+ list).

It's been too long without a silly hat photo. Please read the wall plaque in the background. The wrist bands are a mystery to me. Perhaps Ben or Thomas can explain.

Jigsaw puzzles require that the pieces be assembled in a very specific manner. Sand boxes are just the opposite, but Sara enjoys both.

I really am having a good time, my challenge lies in properly expressing it. Ask Mrs. H if you don't believe me. Nick has never had that problem.

Becky outgrew the booster seat long ago, it just seems like it was yesterday.

Checks (the horse) is sarcastically referred to as a weed whacking lawn ornament. He is rideable, you just have to be able to demonstrate that you have what it takes to be the boss. If you don't, Checks will happily serve in that capacity and your ride will be no fun. Nick is the victim of an over exposed photograph; he isn't really that pale.

The Hectors steadfastly hold to their position that water is fun. We again apologize to those of you that see things differently.

Ben gives Jonathan a virtual driving lesson.

The horse and water are fun, but the swing requires a lot less set-up. You never have to feed it and it won't drip through your ceiling. Thomas is still trying to figure out how it works. Maybe there is a computer program that can help him out.

Uno is a family favorite, especially with me. We've had the Star Trek deck for a long time now. The cards are so worn that they don't slide on each other very well. the Rubik's cube sees a lot less action, and is in perfect condition.

I'm not really scowling, I'm just lost in thought. I do that a lot. Laura and Thomas have an easier time staying focused. You can see it in their faces.

If you want to have the most fun possible, find the biggest body of water possible. That would be the Pacific Ocean. It will work your muscles, chill your bones and soothe your soul. It even grows toys for your enjoyment. If you haven't ever been there, put it on your must-see list.

The idea of Matthew putting up a blog post of HIS photographs (he's very good!) was recently tossed out, but he's a bit bashful. Perhaps with a little encouragement he'll come through for us. What do you think?

be safe,
Hec @ 19

11 comments:

Miss.M said...

HA! I recognized two of those photos and one was taken at our house. Its so fun to see more resent photos that I recognized.
I agree that day on the lake was so much fun but also exhausting.

JB said...

I just wanted to assure everyone that we do not spend every waking moment on fair rides or at a body of water. They just seem to make the best photos. Water is definitely one of God's wonderful blessings.

Mal - the day at the lake will live as a treasured memory in the Hector books. The pic of Nic and I is the only one I can't place - was that at your house?

The seven youngers look soooo young. Has it really been that long? Well, yes, if I look at the color of my hair, I guess it has.

Love you DH. Love our family. JB

SuperAngel said...

what a really neat family y'all are! I hope we get the chance to meet!
:)

Simply Tiffany said...

The water seems to have left our home...the fans and dehumidifiers are gone and someone is coming over today to look at things. The holes and water stains in our ceiling are a sad proof of what happened. I still love large bodies of water, though. :)

The only musical I can think of at the moment is The Music Man, but I can't think of why that comes to mind.

Ahhhh, sleeping in the boat does look very relaxing at the moment.

*laughing* I love the hat picture! I'm trying to figure out what characters they remind me of. :)

Oh, the sandbox picture is beautiful!

lol, Nic does a very good job of expressing his excitement...but it makes for some great pictures.

What does Nic have on the leash thing at the beach?

Melyssa L. NicDhòmhnaill said...

I just love all of the pictures!! Going through old photos is so very much fun!! :)

That second picture is so funny!! Love the huge coat Ben!! You look nice and cozy...and Nic a bit chilled! :)

I'm going to throw in my guess...are they are singing the song from "Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang"? When the dad is at the fair singing "The Old Bamboo"...

Sleeping on the boat looks like fun and very warm!

I really think Matthew should put a post together of his photos...just tell him nobody can see him, so he has no reason for being shy! :)

Thank you so much for another wonderful post Mr. H!!!

Melissa

Simply Tiffany said...

P.S. ~ Matthew, I would LOVE to see a post with your pictures. The ones that you took of the horses down our lane were amazing and I want to see what else you've been up to...so pretty, please? ;)

DeusPrimus said...

I really hadn't thought about how young Thomas was when we first got the kids. Thomas, you were so cute! Don't worry, you don't look nearly as young as you did. The fair was always so fun!

Nic, you look downright miserable in that Mono Lake shot!

Ok, what is up with looking at the background?!!?! Is there some big joke that I am missing out on?

My judgment, JT is not ready to get behind the wheel of a non-virtual car.....

Rubik's cube, never could get that blasted thing to work right!

*chanting** Matthew, Matthew, Matthew!

BFH

Hec @ 19 said...

Mal- That was a special day, I will always carry it in my heart.
JB- You are right, we don't. It only proves that there are no perfect families.

Amanda- Someday, someday.

Tiff- Hooray! Dry is good. Nick is holding a piece of Giant Kelp.
http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals/AnimalDetails.aspx?id=781092

Melissa- Matthew is feeling the rising tide of public opinion. I believe that he will come through.

Hec @ 19 said...

Ben- No inside jokes exist here. I am merely noticing that there has been a long run of haircut and carnival shots. The backgrounds might be more interesting.

Jessica McDonald said...

Lovely post, like usual! :) Thanks so much, Mr. H! I loved looking at the pictures and reading your ingenius (and hilarious!) captions is always a treat!

Yes! Matthew must post some of his photography!!


Miss y'all! ~Jess

Miss.M said...

Hey JB....Yes that was at our house. I recognized that quilt in the back.