Sunday, July 26, 2009

All of us: Through the ages pt. 3

Friends,
Hello!!!

Matthew is dragging his heels. Rather than make you wait, I have decided to proceed with our third installment of TTA. I remember saying something about this being the final episode. DON'T YOU BELIEVE IT!! There is much more to come. Let's get started.

If you want a pleasant expression from a Hector, have them hold their thumb in the air. I don't know why that works, but it does.

If it weren't for mirrors, there would be far fewer photos of me. Thanks to this assembly, there are many photos of me.

My favorite airplane ever is the DC-3.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_DC-3
It is the most beautiful plane in the sky, I love the way it sounds, I admire its sterling reputation. This is what a DC-3 looks like on the inside.

Thomas is not choking. He is giving his siblings a tour of his ambulance and is describing how a broken neck is protected.

AAAARRRRRRGGHH!!!

It's hard to get this many Hectors to agree on anything, but we are a sucker for anyone in bronze if they seem to know what they are talking about.

A shark is less likely to attack if you hold your breath and remain very still.

4-H is a great organization, but keeping the uniform clean is nearly impossible.

Purple is usually Laura's color, but Nick does it justice. We love boating, but canned spinach is not one of our favorites.

This is one of my all time favorite photographs.

This highly realistic painting was made in the barracks of Fort McHenry during the Battle of Baltimore in 1814. # 52 was lost in battle. Pvt's Miller and Dement have mixed emotions about the loss.

This photo was taken at Lookright Ranch in the early 21st Century. Conditions have improved only slightly in the last 200 years.

I think that the color yellow was covered in an earlier post.

See what I mean about thumbs up?

OTTO spelled backward is OTTO.

Take three guys, put them in a U-Haul truck in Oklahoma City and send them to San Andreas, CA. This is what you get. The guy on the right is driving. The guy on the left is not. My thumbs are pointed down and I'm not sure about Thomas'.

Marine World has a lot of great rides. At the end of a long day the best ride is the tram that carries you back to the parking lot.

Nick is winning, but it's early still.

Stretching is good for you, but don't sit in the toy box unless you are young and limber. See photo # 2.

Sleeping outside is better than sleeping inside if the weather is good and there aren't too many bugs. This is not a Walmart parking lot.

Mrs. H and her boys love watching the hippos.

No hippos here, but maybe there is a fish or two. This is the edge of our backyard pond.

Mrs. H and I haven't gotten on the trampoline in a long time, but a first time visit by your future daughters is a good incentive to bounce.

This is another of my all time favorite photos. It was taken at the Pacific Ocean, and if you sink into the image you can feel the brisk breeze, hear the pounding surf and taste the salty spray. The Hectors have a dear friend that has never been there, but we hope to change that soon.

be safe,
Hec @ 19

OK Matthew, your up.

9 comments:

Simply Tiffany said...

Okay, I think this post is my favorite of the TTA posts!!! There are sooo many wonderful shots, artistic ones, family ones, funny ones and all of them are such delightful peeks into the family! You don't mind if this comment is long, do you? lol, not that the others have been short.... :D

The thumbs up do appear to work...how odd is that?

The picture in the DC-3...is that about the time of Ben's accident?

Hey! Why isn't Thomas in the pirate picture? Or the pointing picture?

Oh dear, those uniforms are VERY white!! I didn't realize that 4-H had uniforms. Awwww, aren't Matthew and Anton cute in those hats!!! They don't appear to have the hat problem. :)

Yes, Nic does look good in purple, but I have to admit that Sara looks better.

The guys (all besides Nic, anyway) don't seem to be bothered by the sun shining on them...glad to hear that wasn't a Wal-Mart parking lot. :)

What kind of fish do y'all have in the pond?

*sigh* Oh, I love that last shot..the incredible formation of the waves, the thrilled expressions of the boys and the beautiful lighting make that picture a masterpiece! Very soon, we hope. ;)

Jessica McDonald said...

Brilliant post!! :) Loved all the pictures!!

That last one is breathtaking. One can't help but love the ocean. *sigh*

Miss y'all!

~Jess

Miss Amy said...

Great post!!
Can't wait to see Matthew's pictures! :-)
Amy :O)

Thomas and Lindsey said...

Great post dad. You and I didn't appear to have our thumbs up (or positive expressions on our faces) in that Yosemite shot.

Tiffany, I was there for both events, but I think I was taking the shots (either that or I was curled up with a good book somewhere.... wait!! I don't like to read THAT much!).

I think another trip to the beach is in order.

TJH

Sierra said...

I'd have to agree with Tiff, this one is probably my favorite!...Even though all of them were absolutely wonderful!

When looking at the pirate picture, my youngest sister came up and said: "Who are those people?!" lol, I had to reassure her that y'all really are a civil family. :)

No doubt that last picture is one of your favorites, I'd also have to say its beautifully breathtaking.

JB said...

I continue to enjoy our walk through the past. They are good memories.

DH - I think you put the fair pic in just to prove you do have fun and smile. Now if it had been a motorcycle or sailboat, I know you would have been grinning.

The pic with Matthew, Nic and I looking at hippos was the first outing with Matthew that we had. Dare I tell that time at the hippos was when I "fell in love" with my new son. Oh yes, I remember that one.

The ocean is where I find my serenity. When I'm there I get a sense of what heaven will be like someday. God's power is greater than the ocean, but it feels like just a teeny, tiny glimpse. I know we will be visiting there again, very soon!!

Thumbs up to you DH!!
LY, JB

Hec @ 19 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hec @ 19 said...

Tiffany- Long comments are welcome. Yes, that is Ben's motorcycle cast. The pond dries up most years, so the only fish in there are the ones we stock it with. There were bass in it when that photo was taken, but right now there are no fish in the pond.

Sierra- Tell your sister to stay away from those people; they're dangerous.

JB- Fires make me smile. Big fire, big smile. Small fire, wait till it's bigger, then smile.

Melyssa L. NicDhòmhnaill said...

Diddo to what Tiff said about this post!! It is an absolute hoot!! The pictures are great, the commentary is wonderful, everything seems to be in order...except one thing. Ben, you should NOT grow facial hair...doesn't do you justice! jk!! :)

I love rooms with lots of mirrors....all of the different angles it give to people can be rather humorous!

Love the white uniforms!! And the hats, I'm a sucker for hats!! How did y'all keep them so clean? Or are y'all hiding the dirty spots? :)

Nick looks great in purple, but as Tiff said, "Sara looks better"..:)

I love the ice cream picture!! Try not to pout Nic, doesn't help at all...

It looks as though Ben and Thomas need to get a new bed, and perhaps a new partner to fill in the empty spot of the companion that died!

Yellow is the safe color...glad it looks great on all y'all! :)

Ben looks rather tired in the U-Haul picture. Mr. H looks bored, and Thomas looks as though he is on another sugar high!!

Mrs. H looks so lovely in the "Looking at the Hippos" picture!! I really love the coloring and the lighting.

The last picture seems to take the words out of my mouth...it seems so beautiful! God makes the most amazing wonders for us to enjoy!! I would definitely have to repeat what has been said before. It is so incredible and oh so breathtaking!!! Wish I could come out and see for myself...maybe it be even more so in person!!

Thank you for this wonderful post Mr. H!!

Matthew, we are all waiting anxiously to see hat you have in store for us!! :)